Tuesday, June 15, 2010

June 13, 2010: The Strombo Show Playlist - Top Front People Part 1 (NOTE: No G12 Count Down this week!)



The Strombo Show Playlist (no G12 Count Down this week):
June 13, 2010



[ UPDATE: June 16, 2010; 1:33am:

I've put up the tracks I had a chance to get in here & edit, etc.. not much, but it's a start...

I forgot I'm up early to watch the Greece game on Thursday AM (this morning!), so re-scheduling things around that.. It's been a busy week & little sleep :(

New Feature (last week): Table of Contents



The Strombo Show Playlist [ Not Complete (NO G12 this week) ]:
June 13, 2010


Bob's Top Frontperson Picks
Into the Album Side: Queen - Queen (1973)

End of Post
Comments Section (leave a comment) ]


Just a quick "place-holder post (with some deets) while I working on getting the full playlist up!

I was able to tag or note *MOST* of the tracks while listening to the show on Sunday, June 13th.

The show was a little bit different this week. (There was NO G12 Count Down), but pretty much the full playlist will be up in the next day or so!

What the show was this time was a look at the "Frontman in Rock and Roll"...

The Hour had a bit back when they were visiting Vancouver where they returned "The Newstand" (which I personally think is awesome) to the show, and George chatted with Raine Maida of Our Lady Peace about "Q magazine's recently released list of the Top 20 Frontman in Rock and Roll."

[ Sorted quoted from: Strombo.com and here's.. The Hour: "The Newstand" Video! ]

And to quote some more..
Q mag had: "Liam Gallagher was number one (travesty), Muse Matt Bellamy was 6 (better than Chuck D?, come on). This list caused much discussion at the Strombo Show. So we had this grand plan to do a definitive list, but instead found this impossible. So tonight's show is part one of two shows. Call it a conversation about frontman from two music fans, George and Darby, and Radio 2's Rich Terfry and Bob Mackowycz."

They decided to try and break the music & frontmen (and women) down by decades. I.e. ".. when we say Frontman we mean FrontPerson." And into 2 different shows.. this past Sunday, June 13th and next Sunday, June 20th (I guess G isn't doing anything for "Father's Day").

So.. I decided to put this quick note up about it (as people have been visiting and asking about it) & I'm working on getting the full playlist up by tomorrow, or actually Thursday, (I forgot I'm up early to watch the Greece game on Thurs AM, so re-scheduling things around that) sometime. (I have some of it down now, but need to edit the template I was creating for the regular show format to get rid of G12 stuff, etc.)

I may still do a "Highlights & Excerpts section" since both Rich & Bob are on the show w/their "frontperson picks" and Darby Wheeler (lol.. Wheels.. hee hee!) and George spent quite a bit of time chatting about the various songs being chosen/played and why.

All tracks played on the show are in: Blue and Bold!
So they are easy to view/find/read on the page with all the other notes. Hope that helps! Feedback welcome!

Any Errors and/or Omissions are totally my fault!
IF.. you have any corrections or info that I'm missing, please comment or ping me & I'll update the blog list!
Thanks.
Enjoy.

AND.. as always.. Feedback, comments, notes, etc are ALWAYS welcome!


*** And please note.. there are often updates posted over at The Strombo Show Website but George, Darby and few other of his producers/writer types are off on a road-trip.. so not sure if there will be much in the way updates, etc while they are on the road! ***


[ I keep evolving this layout each week (but working on a template/regular format to stick with & make my life easier & to get the playlist up sooner!).. and now coding it in either Notepad, or since I'm VERY visual & really like color-coding ;) & didn't put Visual Studo back on my computer.. I'm using FrontPage.. but a newer non-evil-ish version..

Of course, as I mentioned above, this week is unique in that there isn't a G12, but both Bob & Rich did stop by to pick some tracks.. so I'll have those listed along with everything else when it gets up here!

So if you have any suggestions/ideas, please let me know by commenting here, or somewhere on the blog. ]




The Strombo Show Playlist [ Not Complete (NO G12 this week):
June 13, 2010


[ We've opened up with the following songs... lots more to comment on later! ]

The Beatles - Helter Skelter

The Spencer Davis Group - Gimme Some Lovin'

The Kinks - You Really Got Me

Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR) - Fortunate Son

Led Zeppelin - You Shook Me

The Rolling Stones - Monkey Man

[ May have missed one here.. not sure... ]

Tina Turner / Ike Turner - River Deep Mountain High

Oasis - Cigarettes and Alcohol

[ May have missed one here.. not sure... or maybe they just talked about playing one & then didn't. Sigh. They do that all the time to me :( ]

The White Stripes - The Big Three Killed My Baby


[ And those tracks should take us to Bob's picks of the night. ]


[ Bob Top Frontperson Picks. ]


[ So not only will you see that they played a number of fantastic songs, but there was some really great stories from Bob & G.
I'll get into them even more in a later update, as I only have so much time right now... and can't remember them all.

But seriously.. you really just need to hear the show to truly appreciate it! ]




Bob's Top Frontperson Picks - #1: Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Bob's Top Frontperson Picks - #2: Van Halen - Panama
Bob's Top Frontperson Picks - #3: The Doors - Break On Through (To the Other Side)
[ Oh... yummy.. one of my fave Doors songs, after The End.. (but Apocalypse Now is the kicker on that one ;) ]

[ Not sure if these were part of Bob's Top Frontperson Picks?
I don't think they were for some reason... as I didn't have them noted as that.. but I haven't gone back thru the whole playlist yet to make sure. ]


Gord Downie.. (or was that Big Sugar here?) [ I kinda missed it.. ]

Roughtrade - High School Confidential

[ They were doing some Canadian bands here, but I think Carol Pope was like the only frontwomen they really did here. Although they did touch on a few others.. and I'm hoping we'll see some more in next weeks continuation show! ]

[ Bunch of other songs here.. including:
(But I did miss a bunch as I had to step away from the computer/radio for a ~20-30mins.. my handy chat room crowd that was on later did try & keep track for me as best they could.. kudos pending to those folks.. once I look at who was there again ;)]


Our Lady Peace - Are You Sad
Sloan - People of the Sky

Thin Lizzy - Whiskey In The Jar

[ Missed a few in here.. but I may be able to figure it out later from my notes... ]

Ramones - Judy Is A Punk

New York Dolls - Personality Crisis

Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers - Chinese Rocks

Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers - Chinese Rocks

Into the Album Side: Queen - Queen (1973)
And the Album Side: Queen

[ Side 1. ]

Album Side # 1: Queen - Keep Yourself Alive
Album Side # 2: Queen - Doing All Right
Album Side # 3: Queen - Great King Rat
Album Side # 4: Queen - My Fairy King

[ The end.. of the "Album Side" & the end of the show! ]

[ NO "Big Lie-Down" this week! ]

[ The End. ] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for your patience as always as I get the list up! And for reading. Enjoy!

And please contribute if you have questions, comments, feedback, links, band or song info, etc.. Please comment on the blog.. it's nice to know you are out there enjoying the music, the show, the chats, and the info above as much as I am. Thanks!


Yours in musical awesome-ness,

~(now former) StromboShowChat Collective

No comments:

Post a Comment

As it turns out, I can't turn off the "Anonymous Users" part of the commenting form w/out also losing other formating I like, so I'll have to live with it. However, I do hope that those that comment here will make an effort to at least use a name of some sort. Or if you have a blog or website you can include it under the "Name/URL" option.

I do welcome all comments regardless and while you are not obliged to leave anything more than the comment, this blog is about engaging and sharing so I hope you will do the same.

Best regards,
Yours in musical awesome-ness!

~(now former) StromboShowChat Collective
.